Thursday, September 21, 2023
5:00 – 8:00 pm
3 MCE credits
Speaker: Pamela Quinn, RDH, MSEd
Dental Office Infection Control 2023
Dental office infection control has evolved since the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard and the NYS training requirement were introduced in 1992. Practices have continued to evolve and incorporate advisories from federal, state and local agencies. Without a doubt the latest challenge to dentistry has been the Covid 19 pandemic. Every dental office needs to be familiar with current guidance to provide a safe environment for patients and staff. Updates from OSHA, NIOSH, CDC, FDA, EPA and ADA must be incorporated into our daily routines. This guidance is in addition to existing requirements from the NYS DOH and SED. Participants in this course will understand and be familiar with the most recent CDC recommendations for dental office infection control.
- Understand the professional responsibility to monitor office infection control practices.
- Understand how pathogens may be transmitted in the work environment: patient to healthcare worker, healthcare worker to patient, and patient to patient.
- Apply current scientifically accepted infection prevention and control principles as appropriate for the specific work environment.
- Minimize the opportunity for transmission of pathogens to patients and healthcare workers.
- Familiarize professionals with the law requiring this training and the professional misconduct charges that may be applicable for not complying with the law.
- Participation in this course complies with the annual OSHA training requirement.
- Course completion fulfills NYS Department of Health and State Education Department expectations for dental healthcare professionals.