Friday, September 22, 2023
9:00 – 4:30 pm
7 MCE credits
Speaker: Harold Crossley, DDS, MS, PhD
STREET DRUG ABUSE AND ITS IMPACT ON YOU, YOUR FAMILY, AND YOUR DENTAL PRACTICE (AM)
The morning session will include discussion of the street/pharmaceutical substances of abuse that are currently in the news. These substances can be purchased on the internet via the social media such as Tik/Toc, Facebook, etc. at their schools, or on the street.
At the end of this brief discussion the participant will be able to
- 1) List ten abused substances currently in the news
- 2) Describe some signs/symptoms of commonly abused substances
- 3) Describe the sources/origins of commonly abused substances
OPIOID USE, MISUSE, ABUSE & ADDICTION: APPROPRIATE OPIOID & NON-OPIOD PRESCRIBING (PM)
The afternoon program will include discussion of the addictive nature, abuse, and proper prescribing of opioids in a dental practice. For centuries opioids have been used to control pain and suffering, but at what cost to us, our families, and our dental practices? What are our alternatives for controlling post-operative dental pain?
At the end of this discussion the participant will be able to:
- list factors that contribute to the disease of addiction
- describe behaviors associated with the disease of addiction
- list non-opioid alternatives for controlling post-operative dental pain
- list indications for opioids to control post-operative dental pain
- describe the types of pain encountered in the dental office
The afternoon session qualifies for 3 of the 8 hours required in the federal MATE Act for narcotic prescribers.
Audience: Dentists, hygienists, assistants, office managers